Thursday, April 2, 2009

God's will for the orphans of the world

I have been reflecting quite a bit on the Word and what God say's about the poor and orphans of the world and what exactly the job of the church is in the midst of this crisis. Many questions have come to my mind lately. Why is the church not responding as we should to the crisis around the world? Why do so many Christians judge our family for wanting to adopt? What is not clear about the Word to some Christians? I was reading Jeremiah last night and stumbled across chapter 5;25-29. In these passages the Lord talks about His people that are wicked and sinful. Their sins, well they are sins of omission. We seldom think about sins of omission. Proverbs 24;12 also talks about the gravity of omission sins.

What are sins of omission you may be asking yourself, well these sins are not wrong doing sins, they areno doing sins. In other words by not responding to the orphans and poor in the world we are sinning. Once our eyes have been opened, you cannot pretend not to know and you will be judged by God for not responding. I came across a bible on Amazon that is sold out and is on back order, it is called "The Injustice Bible." This bible highlight's all of the passages talking about the poor, the orphans, the widows, the strangers. I thought to myself, this bible is sold out, you have got to be kidding me. Maybe the "want to do something" is there and alive in Christians and the church but maybe we just don't know what to do or where to begin to help.

So then I started thinking about my orphan sermon again and have been feeling pulled to speak out again. I gave up before because there weren't many churches willing to let me speak to the congregation. And why is that? Because I am a woman (yes, that was the reasoning for some of them) or is it because, goodness forbid, I am not the same "Religion" as them? I am not sure the reasoning, but I am going to keep pressing on to get the word out to God's People.

I read the other day that if each Christian Family would adopt one child, there would be no more orphans in the world. Not that I think this is the answer certainly, but I guess I had never thought of it that way.

There are 143 million orphans world wide right now. I think about that number on almost a daily basis and I still just cannot grasp on to it. If I thought about trying to help 143 million children, I would most likely feel overwhelmed and I think that is where we are as "The Church" We are overwhelmed because this number is terrifying and what difference can we make anyway, right? Wrong, my friends, help one at a time, and once we all start doing it, we are surely going to create a tidal wave, no longer just drops in the bucket.

The Lord commands us to RESCUE the weak and the needy. Psalm 82 doesn't say help the orphans and the poor of the world, God says rescue them and deliver them from the hands of the wicked!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Africa '07

Africa '07
Zambia

About Me

My photo
This blog is to supplement material taught in the musculo-skeletal section of Adult Health Nursing. Many resources are available including research based evidence practice guidelines and live links.