Tuesday, January 18, 2011

My sick little princess :(

The sixteen year old was sick last week, you would have thought he was dying and little miss had a snotty nose. I thought M was much sicker than her. Well on Saturday we woke up and I noticed she was having some breathing issues when I would lay her flat to change her diaper. I took her to one of my long time friend who is a physician. When we arrived at the office her pulse ox was 94% and I immediately felt panic welling up inside of me. So after the chest x-ray we were looking at the films and there was a consolidation in the right middle lobe. Yep! The little one has pneumonia. So after a breathing tx. at the office her sats came back up to 100%
So we are doing antibiotics, steroids, and xopenex breathing treatments at home. I almost cried everytime I thought about her being sick for two days. It just hit me like a ton of bricks that had she been in Africa, I don't think she would have made it. I was overwhelmed by God's perfect timing to bring this precious girl home. She was the quiet one, never cried, or fussed and in an orphanage setting that isn't qualities you want to have. Because she was so meek and mild, she was overlooked, not played with, not messed with. When we brought her home at 7 month's old she weighed only 8 pounds. She had parasites and I am sure a weakened immune system. I don't think she would have made it to toddlerhood in the orphanage.

And her orphanage wasn't even a bad one. There are just so many kids and so many babies, that if you aren't complaining, you aren't getting the attention. We noticed the very vocal spunky ones were much farther ahead developmentally and nutritionally. What's the old saying, "The squeaky wheel gets the oil?"

So even though I am so sad that she is sick, I am also so very grateful that she is sick here. Here at home, with a Mommy, Daddy, brothers, and grandparents that love her more than anything in the world. Even with Pneumonia she is doing great. She now weighs 18 lbs, is sitting up by herself, and actually yelling when she wants something. All it took was love and attention to bring out her inner divaness :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Africa '07

Africa '07
Zambia

About Me

My photo
This blog is to supplement material taught in the musculo-skeletal section of Adult Health Nursing. Many resources are available including research based evidence practice guidelines and live links.